Uganda: dubbed the “Pearl of Africa”, is the perfect country to explore with its unique diversity of wildlife, natural beauty and friendly inhabitants. Trek in the indigenous forests to see wild gorillas and chimpanzees, or explore the vast waterways, mystical villages hidden in mist, and the lesser known sights of Tree Climbing Lions. Uganda is truly one of Africa’s hidden gems.
Experience what Southern Africa has to offer.
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL
Uganda is considered a year round destination. However, the best time to see the gorillas and chimpanzees is between December to February and June to August, when conditions are particularly favourable.
The below are some of the amazing highlights that are included on the Drifters Uganda tour.
- Lake Mburo National Park
- Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and surrounding villages
- Gorilla trekking
- Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Tree Climbing Lions – Ishasha
- Village and birding walks
- Chimpanzee trek (permits needed)
- Kazinga channel
- Rwenzori (Mountains of the Moon)
- Murchison Falls and Murchison Falls National Park
- Victoria Nile boat trip
5 INTERESTING FACTS
- Due to its tropical climate and consistent rainfall, you will see lush green foliage all year round.
- In Uganda almost 50% of its population is under the age of 14, making it the “youngest” country.
- Uganda is the best place to find the endangered mountain gorillas, with fewer than 750 left in the world.
- More than 10% of the world’s bird species are found in Uganda, making it a favoured destination for bird watchers.
- Uganda is home to one of the smallest churches in the world, it can only fit 3 people in, including the pastor. It is used daily for prayer and meditation.
WHAT TO PACK
Herewith a recommended guide of what to bring along:
For walking, hiking and safaris
- Sport Shoes / Sneakers/ Sandals
- Hat/ Sun cream/ Water bottle
- Smaller day pack/ Camera/ Binoculars
- Books (Birds, Mammals, personal reading books, Optional)
For general travelling (to keep yourself entertained on the longer drives)
- Personal iPod/ Personal Reading Books/ A deck of cards or something similar
- Battery chargers for your personal devices (iPods, iPads, E-Readers, Handy’s etc.)
- Our vehicles are well equipped with charging facilities while driving. A Two-pin charger is perfect.
- Mosquito Net (Optional)
- Malaria Prophylaxis (please inquire from your general Doctor at home)
- Money (Sundry expenses, gratuities)
- Headlamp / Flashlight / Batteries
- Sleeping Bag & Small Pillow